Jailbreaking can be divided into three types, UnTethered, sem-Tethered/ Semi-unTethered and tethered.
What is Tethered Jailbreak?
If your device has a Tethered Jailbreak it means that every time you shutdown/ power-off your device you will have to connect it to a computer to boot it.
What is Semi-Tethered/ Semi-UnTethered Jailbreak?
In this scenario you can power on your device with a computer but some Jailbreak features might not work and for it to properly work you will need to connect to a computer and boot it.
What is UnTethered Jailbreak?
This is the best kind of jailbreak, as it doesn’t require a computer to boot or reboot and it’s the most stable kind of Jailbreak.
The following Jailbreak Method is a Semi-Tethered/ Semi-UnTethered Jailbreak as the unterthered version hasn’t been released for iOS 6.1.3 hence if you have any iOS device 6.1.2 or lower do not upgraded to 6.1.3 if you want to jailbreak and want all the features that come along with it. This method only works for,
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 3GS
- iPod 4G
Downloads: You need to download the following files before you proceed.
- Download the 6.0, 6.0.1, (6.1.3 if you want to restore) firmware for your respective iDevice from here
- Download the latest version of redsn0w for MAC or Windows
- Save all the files in common folder on the desktop
If you are a Windows user, Right Click on the Redsn0w (.exe file) go in to properties and set compatibility to Windows XP service Pack 2 (if you are not using Windows XP).
- Open Redn0w and click on the button Extras, then Select IPSW, browse to the folder where you saved the IPSW files, select the 6.0 IPSW file and press ok. Wait for Redsn0w to identify the file and then press the back button (if this doesn’t work then select the 6.0.1 file and try again).
- Now press the Jailbreak Option Check the Install Cydia button and follow the instructions on the screen to put your device into DFU mode (Device Firmware Update mode) and when Redn0w recognizes your device is in DFU mode release it and let it perform it functions. (How To Put The iPhone Into DFU Mode).
- After redsn0w is done jailbreaking your phone, it will show a message done on your computer screen, during the process your device might reboot a couple of times and show the running pineapple logo, after that your device will boot to the lock screen and its ready to use and jailbroken.
How to boot the iDevice after shutdown or power off?
- Connect your device to your computer and maked sure its powered off.
- Open Redn0w go to Extras and click on Just Boot and your device will be booted back into it’s jailbroken state.