Imagine, if you will, walking down the road talking on your Droid 2 when all of a sudden you hear a loud pop in your ear and the next thing you know your ear is bleeding. Not a nice thought by any means but that’s exactly what happened to Aron Embry from North Texas. As noted in the news report Aaron, was taken to the hospital for assessment where doctors determined that no hearing loss had taken place but four stiches were indeed needed due to the lacerations from the glass. Motorola has since issued a statement regarding the incident:
“Motorola’s priority is, and always has been the safety of our customers, and all Motorola products are designed, manufactured and tested to meet or exceed international and local standards for consumer safety. We will reach out to the consumer and investigate this thoroughly.”
We did a little Research and one of the reason of the screen explosion could be the Gorilla Glass used in the Droid 2 (also used in the Droid and the Nokia N8).
Spontaneous glass breakage is a phenomenon by which toughened glass (or tempered) may spontaneously break without any apparent reason. The most common causes are:
Minor damage during installation such as nicked or chipped edges which later develop into larger breaks
Binding of the glass in the frame causing stresses to develop as the glass expands and contracts due to thermal changes or deflects due to wind